Travis' Abs Diet Challenge

***First Time Visitors***
Click Here!

_____________________


Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Day 2
  by Travis

I made it through yesterday without too much drama. Although, I must admit that I probably ate about eight times as opposed to the prescribed six. At no point during the day did I really feel "full;" probably the closest I got to having my hunger satisfied was after drinking half a gallon of smoothie for dinner. Did anyone else feel weird using their blender and not putting any alcohol in?

For lunch yesterday and today I had a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with a bunch of spinach (instead of lettuce), mustard and tomatoes. I don't know what part of this combination is responsible, but I swear on all that's holy that it tastes like a club sandwich, complete with bacon. Snacks have included almonds, string cheese, oranges, apples and peanut butter, yogurt, and carrots.

My smoothies have been pretty generic. I just throw the following in a blender: milk, vanilla yogurt, cooked oatmeal, flax seed, peanut butter, whey protein powder, and frozen berries. I haven't been putting ice in because I don't care for it to be really cold. I've felt better today, having started the day with a smoothie as opposed to the cereal route I took yesterday.

I also did my first Abs Diet workout today. I actually started off with the Friday routine (a little more compatible with my hockey schedule). Allow me to summarize my impressions in two words: Holy Crap. That was probably the most intense workout I've done in a long time, mainly because I tried to be stringent with regard to the time between exercises and sets within the exercises. A bit of advice, plan on setting aside 45 minutes to an hour for the workouts; I think 30 minutes is a bit optimistic.

For dinner tonight, I'm going to try out the Mas Macho Meatballs and will probably have the remainder for lunch tomorrow.

4 Comments:

  • I don't remember this being convered in the book but for the people who are breaking in new exercises, or especially people who just haven't worked out for the last 6 months, when you do an exercise at the gym for the first timee in a while, you will create microtears on those muscles, and trust me, its not the good kind of burn. The good news is that it goes away in 4-5 days, even though it will be really sore duing that time, and I wouldn't stress pushing yourself too hard during these first 4-5 days. This is an optional week afterall. After the first work out to break your muscles in, you should be all good to push as hard as you want the next time you're at the gym after you've recovered.

    45 minutes sounds right. It took me 30-35 minutes to do the workout, 5 minutes to warm up, and 5-10 minutes to stretch.

    By Blogger Michael Ma, at 5:08 PM  

  • For circuit training, it's important to do the exercises in the order listed. This is because you aren't resting between exercises, so by alternating groups (i.e. upper body, then lower body) you are effectively resting the muscles you aren't currently working.

    By Blogger Travis, at 8:14 AM  

  • They have the book in stock over at the Bookstar by UTC.

    If you just do the circuit once (which is infinitely better than not at all), it should only take you about 20 mins. The book also provides a home version of all the exercises, so you could do them at home while watching TV ;-)

    By Blogger Travis, at 9:03 AM  

  • I think the knowledge you gain by reading the book was the most benefiscial part for people participating. The book is easy to read and you can probably go through it in like 2 sittings. May I recommend you pick up the book during lunch? :)

    By Blogger Michael Ma, at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home